Thursday, November 4, 2010

3 Hour Workout

I think we've become different people. OK, yes I'm now in the Mr Mom role, so of course a lot has changed.  What I didn't predict is that I'd find myself instigating the purchase of gym equipment.

In my view, gymnasiums are places of torture and boredom, reserved for the incredibly vain and the terminally undiagnosed victims of the modern world.  An extreme view perhaps, so I'll try to explain.  I love exercise when it's social and uplifting and outside.  Inside, it starts to lose it sheen and the only way to keep the fun is to add playful competition - stopping short of actual competitive sports of course, which becomes tedious and meaningless to me.  To mindlessly slog away on a gym bike or elliptical, for me constitutes exercise with all enjoyment removed.  Sometimes, when I've been really down or overly self conscience, I tried using a gym, but even a 40" and expanding waistline never motivated me to ever go more than once a year.

In the UK, I was getting fatter every year.  I tried to add more walking in my day, attempted to eat healthier and was frankly desperate to reverse the trend, but somehow nothing really worked.  An unhealthy work pattern, too much travel and hotel food was taking it's toll.

Here in LA, it's a different story.  Sort of.  Initially, I lost a little weight which was probably just the effort being a new Mr Mom in a foreign land - I still had no time for any additional exercise.  Eventually though, I found some time and started to cycle a little around the flat San Fernando valley, then I discovered a book called Day Hikes Around Los Angeles.  This was a revelation for me, in the UK we'd probably call this hillwalking and it would normally involve goretex clothing, ugly boots, flasks of tea and stunning views of green hills and valleys.  Here it involves sun cream, cool cross training shoes, reusable water bottles and stunning views of an epic scale that are somehow familiar.

This summer swimming was a revelation, suddenly I had an exercise in my own backyard that I could do in 30 minutes and also build my confidence in an activity that I had never truly mastered in the UK.  I even found that I achieved something like a kind of meditative state whilst swimming.  I found that I could swim without really thinking about what I was doing and that gave me a time to clear my head and concentrate on what I wanted to achieve with my day.  In fact, swimming is pretty much responsible for me starting this blog.  I thought I'd keep swimming no matter how much the pool chilled.  I was wrong.

I decided I like my new 36" waistline - even though the stores here lie about the sizes of their clothes, my belt is now 4" tighter than when I arrived.  I seem to have gotten busier and if I get a job it's only going to get worse.  I need a means to exercise quickly and now that I'm sooo thin, I don't have the warming fat reserves that would allow me to swim the icy waters in our back yard.  Well that's my excuse, but it would seem silly to move to a place that has 95F temperatures in November, only to dunk myself into a Scottish winter experience every morning.

So here I find myself.  I've just completed a 3 hour workout on a new elliptical machine that is now in our garage / gym.  I've only stood on the machine for 2 minutes though - it took me 2 hours 58 minutes to build the darned thing!

I took great care building this machine of torture, after all I want it to be obviously in good working order when it appears on Craig's List in about 6 months time...

1 comment:

  1. Diggin' this post! Seems we have many things in common re: exercise but I'll try (pathetically) to keep things as short as possible. :-)

    I was a fat kid, then lost a bunch of weight in my 20's. A lot of that was thanks to having a dreaded exercise bike at home I could hop on frequently. (Though I completely agree about indoor gym equipment being miserable.) Still have to battle the beast though. So, thoughts on both exercise and weight loss:

    * I think syncing up eating and metabolism is the biggest thing. Based only on my experience, seems like eating at night is way underrated as the culprit in weight gain or failure to lose weight. The corollary to this - I try to get sporadic exercise throughout the day and evening as much as I can. More on that later...

    * Totally agree with you about swimming, mind-clearing, and cold water too! Used to hate indoor pools as they were dark and smelly. But joined the Y this year and discovered their indoor pools - at least on this coast - aren't so smelly, and the newer ones are even bright! Fewer worries about skin cancer, etc. too, that way. Hard part - finding time to get over there. Also, swimming can make you hungry. Healthy exercise, but not necessarily the best for weight loss.

    * Having something at home to exercise on is great, esp. when you work a lot at home. I never was able to sit still; I do better with lots of breaks to move around, which turns out is healthy in many ways. Recently got rid of evil, crappy exercise bike to make room for my latest exercise innovation - the electronic drum kit. I hadn't had a kit since I'd moved to CA 15+ years ago because I've lived in apartments. But the electronic ones are smaller and almost silent as far as neighbors are concerned. So I'm back to my percussive lifestyle, which I tell people is for exercise and because I'm planning to perform the drums in an art project. Ahem. Anyway, it's nice to be able to do something actually fun during a work break and get some exercise: clears the head and the arteries at the same time.

    That said, yay for walking and biking too! Though you know the story re: SoCal drivers, which makes those activities a bit more scary than they should be; I've been chickening out on the biking lately myself. But don't be social pressured by the built SoCal environment that favors cars over humans. Walk proud, fellow biped!

    ReplyDelete