Thursday, December 2, 2010

Too busy to W*rk

We really have no time at the moment. So I should, obviously, be doing something else. Like ordering replacement windows, or more firewood, or making appointments with the dentist, or returning the wrongly sized sprinkler valve assembly, or building shelves in my youngest's bedroom, or redesigning the web-site for OneHourTheater.com, or considering how best to incorporate a blog for a pals' website, or fixing the broken moulding in my eldest bedroom, or... well you get the picture.  That's just the stuff I remember without really thinking and feel ok sharing.

Yesterday we received emails saying the USCIS have approved our work permits and that they are in the post.  I'm paralysed with the fear that I might have to w*rk in a j*b.  I can't think straight.

Maybe I should start with a temping agency, that way I could get the flavour of the American w*rkplace without the ties and baggage of a permanent position.  Maybe I should just talk to recruitment consultant and dive straight in...  Hmm.  I used to know a guy who w*rked as a recruitment consultant; he never placed anyone, always spoofed his appointments and moved job every 2-3 months before anyone noticed he was mostly at home sleeping or getting stoned.  Perhaps recruitment consultants aren't all like that.

I should spend time on my CV/Resume - I considered it unlucky before I got a permit to w*rk.  I should by a suit, or at least more long trousers/pants.  I should get proper shirts, even ties, shoes that aren't sneaker-ish...

Then again, I do seem a bit too busy to add to w*rk to my timetable.  And do I want a j*b that requires corporate attire and corporate attitude?  Didn't I get enough of that back in the UK?  And here the bureaucracy is even worse than back there, it would drive me mad.

I think I'll start on the shelves.

*- sorry for the expletives

2 comments:

  1. well done with the permit. you need to get yourself more producing work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and condolences on the w*rk permit! I can certainly relate to this post... But if it makes you feel any better, it's refreshing to read dread of corporate attire and attitude coming from an MBA!

    I've only dealt once or twice with agencies and those seemed to be somewhere between very lame and dicey. I'm sure they're not all that way, but...

    On the other hand, usually a lot of the jobs around aren't very permanent anyway. As you probably already know, a lot of US companies try to hire people as freelancers rather than employees so they don't have to pay for health & other benefits. I'm not quite sure what kind of work you do, but there are a lot of fields where freelance gigs are easier to get than permanent ones.

    Good luck! Off to bed for me now; I have to get up early for w*rk... or as we call the unspeakable word in my family, "w."

    ReplyDelete