Monday, December 31, 2012

I Was Here First.

So my wife has started blogging.  How dare she?  I've been trying to get her to blog for over 4 years and then, on a whim, she suddenly starts.   I guess I should be happy?  And I guess I am.  But it's more of a shock than anything else.  You see I'd given up trying to persuade her.

Over the years I've tried so many methods to try to persuade her to blog.
  • I tried basic argument...which was never going to work lets face it.  We're married, so I am the last person she's going to listen to. 
  • I tried the 'build it and they will come' method creating a wordpress blog site at LynnFergy.com.  Lynn showed no interest.
  • I tried to shame her into blogging by posting inane photographs on LynnFergy.com.  This achieved a modicum of success, in that she liked the pictures of abandoned LA couches and soon started sending me more and more to post.  In fact, as back then I was driving her to and from work everyday, I would slow the car for her to photograph more shots of LA's eccentric couch positioning.  But still she would not type a word and I was sent the pictures by email to upload.
  • Then I had a revelation.  I should write a blog and either she'd see how easy it was....or more likely, my inability would get her frustrated to the point of action to 'show me how it should be done.'   Hmm, that sounds like Mrs T is errr... difficult?  Well she's not, and here she proved it.   Lynn loved my blog.  Encouraged my writing.  Helped me improve and gave me nothing but support...  Although, as lovely as that was and still is, she still didn't start writing her own blog!
  • Every so often, Lynn would rant about something or other in the news or on Facebook or Twitter and I would suggest that she wrote about it. The silence of her keyboard was deafening.
  • I thought I'd be devious.  While we were discussing how media was changing, I suggested that she start video blogging; become a vlogger!  This was met with 'some resistance' and could be said to have either backfired or created a beautiful thing...depending on your point of view.  Our ThisDayToday YouTube channel emerged from this discussion...but still not a blog or even a vlog.
So I gave up trying to persuade her.  I began a new life, accepting that Mrs T might write beautiful scripts, monologues and stories but she would never write a blog.  The wordpress site lay fallow and when it got hacked, I removed it and pointed LynnFergy.com to our new YouTube channel.

So what prompted Mrs T to start blogging?  A bunch of things, not all pleasant, including the passing of 'Stripes' our pet hamster.  But mainly it was because Lynn wrote her feelings down in a Facebook status and felt that she wanted to write something longer.  Simple really.  Facebook's failings must have surely prompted many wonderful things.  

I pretended not to be interested, but set up her new blog as fast as is physically possible. 

She gets many more views per post than I ever get.  She writes so much better than I ever do.  I could be very jealous and so I joke that I am.  I feign ambivalence and tease her for checking the view statistics.  I poke fun at how long it takes her to write each post and grumble when she asks me to proof read [Yes, if you spot errors in her blog the faults are all mine... I'm told it's part of the role of a husband to graciously accept all blame]

But I'm actually pleased, happy and most of all proud of Mrs T.  But what ever you do this New Year, don't tell her!

I wish you all a happy and prosperous New Year.

M



2 comments:

  1. What's this about Lynn writing better than you do??? I may not be the College Board (thank goodness), but I have literally a few years of experience sporadically reading random blogs, so that should absolutely qualify me to pass judgment on any blog writing I happen to come across. And in my considered opinion, in blog writing, as in all things, you two are perfectly matched. In fact, we of the Tweddle-blog readership are having to go to quite a bit of effort to wipe all the pastry glaze from our computer screens that accumulate each time we pinch your two perfectly matched adorable blogs' little cheeks over breakfast. And how about all the coffee we have to clean up off the screen every time we do a spit take while succumbing to your irresistible interlocking wit?? And now you've gone and posted that adorable photo of the two of you, as if we can resist going "Awe, look!" and sticking our potato-chip-sodden New Year's party fingers right in the middle of the screen as we point it out to our friends... Now where are we all supposed to find Kleen Screen With Grease Destroyers on New Year's Eve? Didn't think about that now, did you, Mr. "Awe Shucks I'm Jealous of Lynn..."

    Well I hope you've learned your lesson young man, and next time, you'll have a litte more respect for the work we readers put in cleaning up after your blogs.

    Happy New Year. ;-)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno what to say... so I'll start with thank you. It means a lot to me to think of the smudged and grubby screens of readers. Many thanks and best wishes for the new year.

      Delete