Monday, October 25, 2010

Guilt & Love

Without you these would have stayed empty.
I just had that horrible feeling.  I pressed 'publish' and instantly felt sick.  I'd written in my last post that "I organized pretty much everything for the show" and, of course, that's not true. It made me think of all people that helped us and I instantly felt I'd done them a disservice.
  • John Jack at the Stella Adler, allowed this whole project to get off the ground in the first place.
  • Rochelle at the Stella Adler - basically told me how to do everything.  
  • Our friend and neighbor Kim, proof read and improved every piece of drivel I wrote for the flyers, website and program.
  • Carter, our amazingly generous friend, supplied all the equipment to web stream and film the show. His guy Chris set up the lights, the sound desk and the huge back sheet scrim.
  • Martin, despite his punishing schedule, donated the most marvelous whisky known to man.
  • Jason, a new friend, donated the lovely wine.
  • Our friend, Debs, wrote the press release and painstaking updated every listings site with the show's details.
  • The fabulous twitter pals who tirelessly re-tweeted the show's details.
  • Myra, last but not least, told me what was really needed to provide drinks after the show.  She was going to take the production photographs and run the bar... and then our tech was unable to do the run, so at the literal last minute, Myra saved the day and ran the lights and sound cues.  A wonderful lady to whom we are seriously in debt.

In short, I'm not cut out to be the stereotypical Hollywood Producer, I still feel guilt and shame and love.  So to the very idea that I could be a Hollywood Producer, I use the words of Douglas Adams, "So long and thanks for all the fish".

5 comments:

  1. Wait, did you create a new persona just in time for Halloween? "Producerman" could have a really awesome costume--think of all the gadgets he would need on his utility belt! You might even make Batman jealous. At the very least a certain shark-toting tot might be impressed.

    Any chance there's a podcast available for purchase?

    Congratulations on a job well done (and pass it along to the other *Star* of the show)

    ReplyDelete
  2. W00t! Job well done, y'all - It was a great show! I'm in pre-production hell myself now; art shows/performances are different, but it's still a matter of too many preparations, coordinations, practicing, and millions of details just begging to be forgotten. So I feel your pain, and I'm looking forward to late November when I can feel your joy, too. ;-)

    Anyway, thanks to you both/all for a great show... sometimes when you're in the eye of the storm the best thing you can do is take a break and visit a different kind of tornado. ;-)

    Better stop now before I end another paragraph with a ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nonsense Mark, you were born to produce. That MBA is finally coming into it's own.

    Next show: 'springtime for Hitler'

    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liking the comments.

    No podcast - If I can get over the trauma to write it sensibly, I'll let you know why.

    Best of luck with it Uebergeek - it was great to meet you finally.

    Thanks Campbell, err, I think! Mind you there must be room for a more modern version of Springtime for Hitler, perhaps involving a more recent despicable figure. Or maybe wait till there's a new Government in the UK...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the lucky wishes. It was great to meet you and Lynn. You two are even more delightful in person than in pixel!

    ReplyDelete