Thursday, February 24, 2011

Window Shopping.

Note: Old table and chairs by Craig's List
The past few weeks I've been mostly obsessing about windows.  Our 100 year old house in London was too drafty and hence costly to heat even when we lived there over 2 years ago.  So when our friend, who now rents the house from us, mentioned "slight troubles with the windows," we knew it was time to reach deep into our pockets. Ouch!  Now you probably already know how little I like spending money on anything without 'cycle' in its name... so that was tough.

Actually the UK end was sort of easy.  Our friend did the leg work, got the quotes and we suddenly realized that we really didn't care about the aesthetic anymore.  When we lived there, we could never decide what to do. Should we retrofit new wooden replicas of the original sash windows or buy plastic doesn't-really-look-a-likey versions?  When you're sure that your not returning, you just want cheap, solid and low maintenance.

Here has been trickier.  Removing two very small stained glass windows in an exposed brick wall caused lots of discussions and horrified looks.  I sat on the fence mostly.  The stained glass windows were decrepit, ugly, noisy, drafty and required unsightly bars to make them secure.  The brick wall was disgustingly dirty, dusty, salt-stained and sucked light from the room.  Hopefully, you can tell from my description that I remained open and malleable to all other viewpoints. ;-)

People love brick - it's sort of rare here, I think because the earthquakes demolish it so readily.  The day we had the first coat of primer on the wall a visitor remarked, "Aren't you just really tempted to have it shot blasted back to the bare brick?!"

And like the brick, people love stained glass windows here too.  Lynn has also fallen for them.  So now 4 tiny, buckled, rotten and bowed windows sit in our garage.  I expect they'll remain there for about at least a year or so, but if you know where I should, or just could, sell such things then please let me know where to offload them and I'll happily donate a cut to a charity of your choice.
Note: New table and chairs by Craig's List
Well I think it looks a lot better, so there!  If you disagree, then by all means drop me a comment once you've left a donation to the Cumbernauld House Trust.  Some things are worth keeping and others are just tired dusty walls with rotten windows...
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. good work Dude. as was commented in London: every house needs a Mark...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your chutzpah in the face of intense decorational social pressure, you Stained-Glass-Window-Replacer-And-Brick-Painter-Over you. Next time I need to summon the courage to lay carpet over a hardwood floor, I know just who to call on... ;-)

    The windows might be easier to donate than sell. Maybe Habitat for Humanity can use em? Or Goodwill or Salvation Army may accept them for resale. If you want to try selling them, beyond Craigslist all I can think of is perhaps an antique dealer or a place that deals with estate sales.

    Happy Home Improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mr. Tweedle, We at the Society for the Preservation of All Things Dank and Dusty ..."


    Ah no but remind me to tell you the story of the clash of the Natchez, Mississippi homeowner and the historic board over a master bath addition. At least you could decide yourself. His was an epic battle that was nothing like the genteel ones on This Old House.

    Here they have folks to tear down entire houses and salvage windows, floors, doors, shutters, brick, etc. Some of that very expensive heart pine floor sold by interior decorators might be coming from a demolished old house or barn in our "neck of the woods." Once while scavaging for paver bricks at one of those salvage yards, the owner tried to sell me a doorknob as a collectable.

    Apparently the folks who renovate houses (especially if they're in historic districts with rules on such things) might be delighted to have the windows redone by any local stained glass artist.

    Which reminds me of eBay and etsy on the Internet. You might ask the stained glass folks if they'd buy the windows for the glass. Some of artists I've talked to make small art windows to hang in larger windows for color very much like a painting.

    We're also of the "repurpose" and "recycle" clan here. If you were close, I'd be tempted to make an offer on the stained glass windows. Would like to build a little structure here at the farm. Might be fun addition to a utilitarian structure.

    Do you have any photos of the windows?


    Also. what did you used to clean the brick so that the paint would adhere. What type of paint did you use?

    Thanks in advance for any info.

    .

    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments.

    'I am a writer': We didn't do anything too special with the bricks. Just vacuumed the bricks with the right amount of suck and then just washed them with water and a little detergent. Then used one coat of a primer from the Behr brand - I think it was latex based.

    Now I saw "we", but.... Well let's just say my wife couldn't have given you those details. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo Mark,

    Thanks for the info. We've been partial to Benjamin Moore paint but have been seeing the Behr brand in the home center. If you're able to use one coat to cover brick it muct be good stuff.


    I've been lucky only to have to paint drywall in living/bedroom situations. Basic stuff - vacume, tape, prime, paint. Painting brick looked to be increased difficulty. Your finished project looks great. Good job and many pats on back. Always great to see happily finished projects.


    At the moment I'm dreading painting exterior house as it involves climbing on ladders and possible renting of scaffolding. I'm not a chicken but the idea of dangling off a latter with a bucket of paint sounds dangerous.


    Afraid to comment on the "we" part of your post. I can't. There's rummor of a hot water heater replacement in our future. Don't mind the painting and I've metaphorically been up to my ankles when the mainline to septic tank was cranky. I've helped hang, mud/tape, and paint drywall. I've pushed and pulled refridgerators and the washing machine out or into the house. I've stripped and painted kitchen cabinets. I've even laid hardwood floors.

    But-

    Come plumbing day? When they have to empty and then rassle that water heater down stairs and then drag another one up stairs? I'm going to be AWOL sitting up at the river. Don't want to know details. Just want to know that there's still hot water when I turn on the tap and that there weren't visits to the ER.

    As in law, sometimes it's not a good idea to know how things get done. Just glad that there's a beautiful wall or hot water when it's done. LOL

    .
    .

    ReplyDelete