Wednesday, September 15, 2010

8 minute blog.

Why 8 minutes?

Because that's how long I've got till the homemade pizza is ready.  I seem to be trying to do too much.  Clearly I got too excited about what I might be able to achieve once the boys were back at school.  I have from about 9am, when I leave the preschool, till the 3pm school kick out time.  That may appear reasonable, it is 6 hours after all.  It never seems to be long enough though.

I alway end up collecting my 7 yr old from school at the last moment.  I tend to take him home for an hour, so he can do any homework - or just have a bit of peace before we collect his noisy brother.  Inevitably, I also use that hour to finish off some things.  Yesterday, I used that time to try to make sense of the school's magazine fundraiser.  I still have no clue.

What I do know is, that I was supposed to donate the addresses of all of my friends and family, so that my son could receive a prize.  Is this normal here?  In the UK, I expect there would be a riot if you were asked to disclose other people's personal information without their explicit permission.

The prize was a chocolate-smelling calculator.  I just couldn't bring myself to give away the addresses, so now I need to source a chocolate calculator...

Acht that's 8 minutes... and my youngest has just told me that he's swallowed Spiderman... must dash!

4 comments:

  1. *psst* Here's the secret to the magazine fundraiser:

    Use the school's address and 10 teacher's names.

    Works every year. The teachers know what's up so they just toss the junkmail, the magazine company doesn't care, and you can use the choco calculator when your kid is asleep.

    Commit this factiod to memory, as it must self-destruct in 5..4..3..2..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like chromajoy's solution! Though I don't have kids, I do enjoy fabricating personal data whenever it's demanded unnecessarily. One nice thing - it's easier to use fake data here than in the UK, because those web forms that reverse engineer your postal code aren't as common here nor as vociferous in demanding conformity to an address database. So at least you can amuse yourself inventing creative databodies.

    Hmm, "Creative Databodies" - think I'll use that name for either my next online business venture or my next band...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it's not just me that considered giving the Teacher's names.

    In the UK, I used to collect all the Freepost envelopes that the Creditcard companies sent us and then fill them with the delivery food leaflets. You never know when the Creditcard companies' staff will be in the area and they might be hungry. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That suggestion is brilliant.

    We're way past the age of magazine fundraisers but we are on the receiving end of them from nephews. It always make me feel sooo guilty because I never buy one.

    Of course if they were selling candy bars....

    Will have to forward this idea to nephew's mom and dad.

    Thank you.

    .

    ReplyDelete