Thursday, September 16, 2010

Back talking to Adults.

With the boys at school and pre-school I am now able to get out and about.  Rashly I said I'd be free at this point, well the feeling of freedom has not been long lasting.  Lynn waited a day.  She gave me a day, and for that I thank her.  Then I started to be drip-fed my tasking notices. I understand her method, if I'd seen the entire list, I'd have lost all sense of humor.

First priority is making Lynn's show happen.  [Oct 18th, 19th & 20th at the Stella Adler Theatre, Hollywood - tickets are available from www.OneHourTheater.com]

So I've now seen the theatre, a lovely space with a very large stage and raked seating.  Their speakeasy bar room is fabulous, with its old revolving bookcase entrance and virtually nothing touched since prohibition.  The main hurdle for me though, was meeting other adults.  I was more nervous than usual and talked like a budgie, hopefully they understood enough to get the gist.  As well as the Stella Adler theatre folks, I've managed to meet up with friends who helped us before with whisky and production equipment. So I've even been eating lunch... in restaurants that don't have a kids menu.  Ahhhh!

Just as I was thinking that I was not really with it, one of my pals said, "So are your boys with a sitter?" Now I could dwell on how the brain made the association that I'm always with my kids - it certainly feels that way so it's an acceptable approximation.  However, my friend has 2 kids too and so clearly knows that they're at school during the day.  I put it down to people being overworked at the moment.

Perhaps, contrary to popular opinion, this working lark rots your brain far more than being the primary parent?  However if that's true, then work appears to have inflicted some long term damage on me..

4 comments:

  1. Great good luc - um - no - ah yeah "Break a leg."

    Sorry. Have been a parent for aloooong time.


    I hope that the evening is a success and that the house is sold out.

    I'm thinking that you wouldn't want to tell all that's in the show but I'm wondering if you could give us an idea?


    .


    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got this little synopsis on the website:

    "Heart & Sole is the story of Carol, an elementary school teacher in Scotland, who falls in love with David, a fish living in a tank at the local aquarium. From this absurd idea, Ferguson has spun a warmly twisted drama asking the question “can you love someone and not be like them?” Her talent for embodying vibrant personalities allows her to switch between three characters effortlessly. Helping to illustrate Carol’s dilemma, we meet her friend Elaine, a brassy housewife, and Sacha, a possibly cultish fish fanatic."

    You nearly inspired me to write my own review as my next blog... I did start it and then promptly chickened out! (Hmm, I hope chickened out makes sense over here).

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first started reading your blog, I thought that you really needed "adult time".

    One of our neighbors came up with a solution that may help you. They had children and we did not. About once per week, when the kids were at school or pawned off on grandparents or relatives, they would come over to our house just to talk or watch TV. We didn't plan anything either, it was usually spur of the moment. If we were home, one or both would come over to talk to one or both of us. Anything child related was off limits. As we didn't have children this was very easy. We didn't plan anything special so it became like part of a routine or a job, it was just part of what you do for that day. We were intellectually compatible (all had advanced college degrees) which made it more fun.

    After about the 2nd visit, we all started making lists of subjects we wanted to discuss. It became great fun to exercise our intellects over yard work, laundry or any other otherwise hum drum chores/daily routines. Granted, this obviously was a special situation (we are still great friends), but there is no reason you couldn't adapt it to a few people so you could have a "rotation". I think one of the other things that is important is that you get out of your usual environment so you don't any distractions.

    BTW, chickened out is perfectly acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You nearly inspired me to write my own review as my next blog... I did start it and then promptly chickened out! (Hmm, I hope chickened out makes sense over here)."


    "...chickened out!"

    LOL, yup. they use that term here.

    Ah, the minefield that you'd have to walk through to review your wife's play.

    Suggestion? (Only a suggestion.) Go see it and enjoy the fact that only you can ask the author in the middle of the night, "Uhm, honey? That part in the second act? The "at home dad who's and engineer"? Well - I was wondering - ?"

    Otherwise? Being supportive and holding her hand (or not if it pizzes her off) is the best review you could give her I imagine. I had a roomate who was a dancer. From what I saw of the pre production process? It's alot like the last trimester and then childbirth. You get to a point were most everything can pizz you off.



    I really do like the synopsis and were I about 2,000 miles closer, would gladly buy a ticket for myself and Pup (my long suffering offspring). Sounds inventive in an interesting and funny way.

    And while we are on the subject of entertaining writers...

    I really do enjoy reading your blog. As a mom, it rings true but it's not cliche. I'm not sure if it's the male perspective of parenting or what. Whatever the reason, I'm really hoping that you're keeping the posts for publication as a book.


    .





    .

    ReplyDelete