Thursday, September 30, 2010

No sleep till...

Please excuse me, I might be a little grumpy today.  I had less than 5 hours sleep.  I have a headache that feels like I've got some kind of solid knot inside my head, just behind my left eyeball.

Our youngest, wouldn't sleep again.  The last time he got out of bed was about 11:30pm and then he was up at 5am.  What ever I want him to do, he will not.  When I got him home yesterday I made some homemade pizza.  Whilst it was cooking he wanted a cookie, I said he had to wait till after dinner.  He walked over to the kitchen, used a cupboard door handle as a foot hold, pulled himself up onto the countertop, stood up and reached to get the box off from on top of the fridge.  We fought.  He only ate half a slice of pizza in protest.

There was thunder and lightning here last night and so we fought about why the TV was off. (Back home, I remember lots of people having everything that was plugged in, fried beyond repair).  We fought over story time, toothbrush time and inevitably sleepy time.  This morning we fought again over the TV - only good boys get to watch TV at breakfast.  We fought over socks and shoes, we fought over sun cream, we fought over leaving the house and we fought over me leaving him at pre-school.  Apparently, he and I have our own little Fight Club going - though the 1st rule of this Fight Club seems to be, don't talk to Dad about Fight Club.

Meanwhile, I've been getting acupuncture and have been given a bunch of herbal pills to cleanse my liver - apparently that should help reduce allergies.  12 huge pills and 2 small garlic ones - Bleuch!  They make me dehydrate a little and that makes me grumpy too.  I wonder, would it be unethical or just pragmatic, to look for a herbal remedy that would make my boys sleep more soundly?

If I don't find a solution soon, I'll be putting a lock on our bedroom door and starting to sleep with earplugs.  Actually scratch that, it'd be too dangerous.  Unsupervised, I'm pretty sure he'd be on the internet looking up the Anarchists Cookbook for ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I was just reading this, with thunder outside here now in San Diego (it took all night for the storm to move 100 miles?) Thinking, "oh yeah," how "back home" on the east coast stuff sometimes fried in thunderstorms, but I haven't known it to happen here. We tend to have surge suppressors and uninterruptible power supplies on things here/now, but power interruptions are also much less frequent. Just as I was reading/thinking that... beeeeep... power interruption.

    This must be the most powerful blog post I've ever read! Or perhaps, the most power-less?

    Hope your sleep / allergy / Fight Club difficulties improve! I've been suffering from two of the three this week myself, just from the weather and work overload. Hmm, that sounded like I'm allergic to work overload - think I like the sound of that ailment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's what gets me through raising my argumentative middle child without committing justifiable homicide:

    The chances of ANYONE making this kid do something he's against is right up there with World Peace. I imagine his peer pressured poor-choice instances will have those same odds.

    If I'm right, it should be easier as he gets older. Or I could just trade him for a monkey now....

    ReplyDelete