Monday, September 13, 2010

English Development.

I've been here in LA now for nearly 2 years and the locals still struggle to understand my speech patterns.  That's still an improvement.  When I first arrived, understanding me was beyond a struggle.

Here are my top 3 misunderstandings:

1.  Once, I ordered a skinny decaf latte for Lynn at Starbucks and she was given a chilled vanilla latte thing.
2.  Maytag sent me a card to rate their service and addressed it to Mock Twagel.
3.  I was chatting to a guy at the checkout of Trader Joes for quite a while, mostly about London.  Then I told the guy that my card didn't seem to be swiping properly and he replied, "I know, but eventually you'll get so used to the hot weather, that you'll think it gets, like really cold in the winter."  At least I think we'd been talking about London, now I can't be certain of the conversation he thought he'd had.

Now I'm starting to get push back from friends in the UK.  Apparently, I'm using American words and my accent is weakening.  I don't think that's a bad thing.  My boys are growing up here, so why confuse them when their at home?  It's confusing enough here, without having to speak differently to your parents.  I should know, my parents are English and brought me up in Scotland.  At school I was ridiculed for my English accent and then at home I was told to lose my low class Port Glasgow brogue.  So I'm no stranger to feeling like the stranger.

Our 7 yr old spoke full-on Californian after a week at school.  He uses the word 'dude' without the irony or self consciousness that a Londoner should.  We used to ask him to say "Harry Potter" when we were in London, just so we could marvel at his London accent. "Arry Pota."

As for younger chap, his first use of an American accent was with the phrase, "I caan't!"  The rest of the time he mostly sounds a bit Shrek-like.  His pre-school teachers were always asking him to say, "Donkey!"  In fact, his main preschool teacher last year was an Essex girl, so no wonder his accent is still very mixed up.

Lynn's had a much easier time of it.  First of all she's had voice training, and second she gets to practice every day at work.  However, if she ever gets time off, then by the end of the week she's talking like she's back in Cumbernauld.

And so to my latest error/conundrum...  Theatre has only one spelling in the UK.  Here, it seems as though 'Theater' is for movie theaters, but not for arty plays where it is 'theatre.'  Though some folks tell me that 'Theater' is the building and 'Theatre' is the dramatic piece.  In fact, it's a bit like when I asked lots of people for the rule at 'Stop' signs, every time I asked I got a different answer.  All the different answers, have kept 'Stop' signs really exciting for me.

So I've set up www.OneHourTheater.com because I was completely unaware and just assumed 'theater' was the American spelling.  Maybe I should have called it OneHourTheatre.com or 1HourTheater.com or 1HourTheatre.com.  I still don't know.  So I figure I'll say I'm  just following a 'do it first, and ask forgiveness after' philosophy.

I had thought I was doing ok with writing American, but the spell checker can only help color your text with American spelling, and now I realize real humor is contained in the dual-meaning of words.  Rubber, fag and jumper to name but a few.

So I thought I'd start a list of the words I'm having to use:

Diaper - it's a nappy.
Line - it's a queue.
Eggplant - it's an aubergine
Hood - it's a bonnet.
Trunk - it's a boot.
Truck - it's a lorry.
Attorney - it's a blood sucking.... sorry lawyer or solicitor,
Cookies - they're biscuits.
Crib - it's a cot.
Mom - she's called Mum.
Popsicle - I think it's rude.
Loser - he who gives up...

16 comments:

  1. You actually live in an area that is somewhat neutral language wise. Should you get the opportunity to travel through the southern US, you may feel you have entered a foreign country. In fact, we consider Alabama and Mississippi just that. I live in Texas, we have a few "sayin's" that may confuse you. You may be familiar with y'all, the plural of the singular you. "Fixin' to" is just we are preparing to do something, it may be seconds or days before it actually happens. Fixin' to go eat is an imminent event. Fixin' to launch the space shuttle could be hours or days. Rastlin' is what they do on the WWE. Don't worry too much, the natives will think it's cute and you will catch on. It took me 5 years to figure out what my British mother in law was saying. And then I didn't want to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks BAM, laughed a lot at the British mother in law comment. In Devon and Cornwall, they say "I'll be with you direc'ly", similar to "fixin' to", it might be minutes or it might be months before you see them again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum in law also used to say "full of all good stuff, you know" which meant it would taste like crap. Her bran muffins are used for insurgent torture by the Bush Administration. "Just a thin bit" of cream cheese on a cucumber sandwich would make the semi-conductor industry proud. I also notified the fire department before the annual Christmas Pudding alcohol dousing, "Don't you think it makes it just grand?". If you had somehow crossed her (which was constant) you would get the silent treatment. When asked what the problems was, her reply was always "well, you know". One time she held a grudge for a year. I finally got it out of her after kidnapping her cat. Are all the Brit mum in laws like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that I must take the 5th on this... I think I got the easier in-laws in my marriage, perhaps!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Point-and-grunt easily translates in all dialects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dunno'. I'm thinking that if you'd ended up in the Deep South, most of the women would love your accent. The fact that you're "hands on" with the kids would make you quite popular. I have a feeling that with your accent and sense of humor you'd be "charming the pants off" the ladies here in no time.

    PS "charming the pants off" isn't literal. It means that they'd be "smitten" in a good way. Not in a, "OMW. Madam, could you please put your clothes on." way.

    There are problems with the meanings of words though. Coke isn't the drug, it's all things carbonated. (Much to the unhappy of the Pepsi company.) Then there's multiple meanings for the four letter word, "fine". Not a good thing to use the English slang word for cigarettes. We nearly fell over when we went to England and saw it on an advert. You could say the six letter word beginning with the letter "b" all day long and not offend. Not to many folks would know that it meant. Same for the 5 letter word that begins with the letter "f". Here that's an old fashioned girl's name. (You could say the five letter word that begins with "b" out here as it's a rural area and they're talking mostly about the four legged "critters". Unless they're angry and then it's the other meaning.

    The folks would love you here.


    .



    .

    .

    ReplyDelete
  7. [Uh oh... one of my favo[u]rite subjects! Here we go...#1 of 2]

    LOL - Oh my.. Mock Twagel! Glad they at least didn't address it to Mock Turtle.

    In Huddersfield, everyone seemed to understand my American accent except the people at McDonalds!? To be fair, I think it was because I used to ask for coffee with cream and "sugar(rr)." Just couldn't bring myself to feign a British accent and say "sugah." So... they gave me orange juice.

    Living among all those different accents over the years, Mark, I'm wondering what accent you currently *hear* in? Growing up just outside Philadelphia, that accent sounded "neutral" to me; I only noticed Philly accents in people who had very thick ones. After some years in California, I noticed that the SoCal accent now sounds neutral, and when I go back to Philly, I hear everyone as having an accent. (Yo, why youse guys back home talkin like dat? :-))

    Word usage / spelling: *climbs up on soapbox* I've been half-seriously considering for some time forming a movement called "No English is Illegal." ("English Without Borders" was taken!)
    Now that the Internet lets texts cross borders much more easily than humans, as far as written English goes, it makes no sense to me that we still have to worry about whether a particular word is correct in "our" English or "their" English. So under proposed "No English is Illegal" rules, anything that's legal under *any* English is legal under *every* English. Kind of like a Schengen Agreement for English texts... Note that "No English is Illegal" only deals with texts, not spoken English. Until humans can be downloaded across the net, or at least move around with less hassle, I suspect all those delightful lilts, brogues, drawls will more or less stay put. Which I guess means there will be a Mock Twagel incident every now and again. *steps down from soapbox*

    ReplyDelete
  8. [Part 2 of 2:]

    Some of my favorite British/American translations - along with why my American brain likes the British versions:

    Torch - Flashlight. (Mental image of the kind of torch they carry to the Olympics. Much more dramatic during a power outage.)

    Plaster - Band-aid. (Mental image of the stuff used to fill cracks in walls. That'll take care of that paper cut.)

    Kettle lead - _____ I like that it has a name. US has the cables, but not the kettles. So AFAIK, the cable has no name at all in the US. Which makes getting hold of one a tad difficult....

    Clearing out - Going out of business. Mental image of a wrecking ball knocking over everything in the store.
    Way out - Exit. Suggests the place you are in is some sort of a trap which you are somewhat desperate to find your way out of.

    Scheme (marketing term) - Plan(?) - Never been sure of the precise translation, but to American ears, "scheme" implies conniving, which in this context is at least honest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the comments here. I guess I'll be revisiting this topic.

    Oh and the kettle lead is usually pretty similar to the lead/cable that a desktop PC would have... except with a heat resistant covering.

    If you don't have kettles, what is the thing that you would put on the gas stove to heat water for tea - sometimes they have a whistle that sounds when the water boils and steam is produced? I'd call that a kettle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I'm confused, because the kettle lead I'm thinking of is the two-pronged... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector C7 and C8.

    So it can mean the 3-pronged ones from desktop PC's too?

    I dunno, I learned the term from people in England, and it seemed to make sense since all those electric kettles everybody seems to have in England seem to use that plug.

    We do have kettles in the US, but most of them are heated on the stove. There are also electric hot water heaters of various shapes, sizes, and power cords. But we don't have, or at least have as commonly, those electric kettles like this that all seem to use that 2-pronged cord: http://amzn.to/bt74Yk

    *shrug* I suppose it's back to charades for describing power cords!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! In the UK electric kettle leads I presumed look like the C13/14, i.e. the same as used with a lot of desktop PCs and rack mounted comm.s equipment. They kind of should be C15/16 though, as this is what's required for hot appliances. For stuff like that it's always best to have the third 'earth' wire for added safety.

    240 volts stings a bit! Though I haven't tried 115 volts yet and really not sure of the effect of tying 2 or 3 phases of 115v together... might be quite tasty.

    Now that's sorted, waffle irons? Is that how you get those stylish waffle patterned shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  12. From the department of "Should I believe Wikipedia on this?" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_iron
    (See "History.") Maybe we can also somehow blame Dutch Pilgrims for Cuisinarts and Fondue Pots?

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, Took me a bit to understand what a "...kettle lead..." was. I do know what "put the kettle on the hob." means. :D

    LOL, do you know what "sweet tea" is?




    .

    .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh, sweet tea. I just looked it up on Google! I had no idea that would be iced tea from the South.

    In the UK it would be common to give sweet tea to shock victims! Kind of an 'old wives' cure. And that's just your normal British (black) tea, freshly brewed - so hot - with milk and 2 teaspoons of sugar. It's not a good idea if the victim is actually hurt though!

    Years back I worked in a factory making electrical connectors and a colleague drove a picker truck so hard into a mezzanine, that all the wheels were off the ground. I've never seen someone lose all the color in their face, like he did when he tried to step from the cab... Sat down with a cup of sweet tea and 10 minutes later he could almost see the funny side. No amount of tea was ever going to help explain the huge gouge out of the concrete floor though...

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quest for the elusive Cable Formerly Known as Kettle Lead (and especially for its name) comes up often in my life. I swear, I'm not obsessed: it's just that it's also The Cable That Can Secretly Replace the One That Comes With Mac Laptops. And Mac laptops and their owners crop up a lot in my line of work.

    So today, the discussion - of both the reclusive cable and its aversion to names - came up with a Mac laptop-toting visitor. I went looking on my shelf and found one still in its package. Here's what it said:
    http://twitpic.com/2qg7gv
    There now - that rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it?

    My visitor, now also amused, found a photo of the connector online and posted it to his Facebook without commentary. Within minutes, someone posted a comment: "Can I borrow it?"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like ubergeek's scheme for "No English is Illegal". Our engineering group is in the process of defining some complicated equipment we are buying from a firm in Sweden. We have weekly conference calls with them and with the end user, who I'll call Mr. Self Important Production Manager. Mr. SIPM never misses an opportunity to loudly point out to the manufacturers' representative that they've failed to use an American spelling in the documents we receive for review. The rest of us think this is a) rude and b) stupid, as we all know perfectly well what the meaning is, but since Mr. SIPM is higher up the food chain than us engineers, no one says anything. It just makes me want to cringe, and I hope that our Swedish suppliers, who we will have to work with closely for about the next year and a half as they build and then we install and commission their machine, realize that not all Americans are this boorish.

    ReplyDelete