Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Car Trouble

I wonder if this'll work. I'm sitting in a small waiting room for kids at a car dealership. My car is upset, apparently over 2 hours upset. Mind you nothing could be as upset as I expect to be when this is done. Over 2 hours in a small cell with always-on Disney channel and always-on 3 year old. So I type this on my phone and can hardly read the text - expect typos.


This dealership is clever. Their kids waiting room has an xbox, Sony playstation, Nintendo gamecube, various toy tables, a TV and all is contained in an almost sound-proof glass cell next to a Starbucks. I'd get a coffee, but I don't think caffeine would help and I dread what would happen if I give him cake!

Just the other day I saw a 'secret' car. It was all covered in cardboard to hide it's shape and finer details. I was just thinking "What kind of idiot would do that to a car?" when I spotted it had 'manufacturer' written on the registration plate. The car itself looked particularly average and I think they'd have made it much less noticeable if they took the cardboard off and got it a bit dirty. So I guess I witnessed a clever car manufacturer trying to get their dull new model noticed. I'll add a photograph when I get home, you never know it might be a newest most exciting 'Green' car - it's certainly no 2 seater sports model.

Tomorrow preschool starts so I'll be free again, and hopefully the car will be working too. Now I say free, but actually there's a ridiculous amount of tasks that haven't been done whilst the boys were on vacation. Lynn's going to do a run of her 'Heart & Sole' play in October and I need to make it happen. In preparation to designing a new website for the shows, I tested my backup of lynnfergy.com - i.e. I irretrievably deleted the entire site by accident!

It seems to me that I seem to be missing appointments and breaking everything I touch. Can I blame it all on my boys?



UPDATE: In the end I was waiting 4 hours and 15 minutes for my car and here's the cardboard one:

4 comments:

  1. There is a great scene in "The Big Chill" where Nick (William Hurt) is up late watching TV and Sam (Tom Berenger) enters the room and starts asking Nick all sorts of questions about what he is watching. Nick is somewhat annoyed and finally answers him with "You're so analytical! Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you". Obviously, it can be interpreted in a multitude of ways, but for me, it sort of gives me permission to take in whatever the ridiculousness of a situation is, have a laugh at it and just go on trying to live life. I'm an engineer like you, I used to analyze, over think, plan and agonize over every minute detail. "Letting art flow over you" just allowed me to let life enter in to the equation and accept the fact that I could not manage every little thing. I still try, though.

    As for blame, I would distribute it proportionally. Some for the boys, none for Lynn, a little for you and find some friends or neighbors to blame on occasion. Or some for people who you don't want to be friends with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. got an answer about your cardboard car...

    Blogger phantomX said...

    Annie, it is a manufacturer's test vehicle - note the "M" on the license plate - they always camouflage them when they are out testing on public streets. Seeing that it was seen in LA my guess is that it is an upcoming Toyota - they have a design center there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding onto what Annie and phantomX wrote: The cardboard car looks like a Toyota to me too. Though interesting that it has Michigan tags, which would suggest an American manufacturer. Another possibility that crossed my mind, considering the location, is that it might be a car headed for a TV appearance. Thus it could be either camouflaged because it's a new model not yet blessed for appearance on public streets, and/or a way to keep dirt and dings off of it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, it's America, coffee always helps in America.

    Always.

    ReplyDelete